Plane carrying EU's top leader targeted by alleged Russian GPS jammingNew Foto - Plane carrying EU's top leader targeted by alleged Russian GPS jamming

A plane carrying the European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen was targeted by GPS navigation jamming while trying to land in Bulgaria on Sunday, a spokesperson for the commission told CNN. The commission received "information from Bulgarian authorities that they suspect this blatant interference was carried out by Russia," said European Commission Deputy Chief Spokesperson Arianna Podestà. The Kremlin has denied the allegation, with spokesperson Dmitry Peskov telling The Financial Times, which first reported on the story, "your information is incorrect." The plane landed safely, the European Commission spokesperson said. A source familiar with the situation told CNN the pilots landed the plane using paper maps. Von der Leyen and the commission have been staunch supporters of Ukraine as Kyiv tries to defend itself against Russia's unprovoked aggression. She was one of the European leaders who attended US President Donald Trump's summit on Ukraine last week and has consistently urged EU member states to allocate more resources to helping Ukraine. The incident occurred as the president was about to land at the Plovdiv International Airport in the south of Bulgaria, part of her tour around member states in the eastern part of the bloc to rally support for Ukraine. "This incident underlines the urgency of the president's current trip to frontline Member States, where she has seen first hand the every day threats from Russia and its proxies," Podestà told CNN. She later added the flight was a charter and that it was unclear whether the attackers intended to target it directly. CNN has reached out to the Bulgarian authorities for comment. GPS interference that causes disruptions to flights and maritime traffic has long been among the tools inRussia's hybrid war arsenal. Authorities in Scandinavian and Baltic states have said repeatedly that Russia has been regularly jamming the GPS signal in the region. After a team of researchers in Poland and Germany closely studied GPS interferences for a period of six months starting June 2024, they also concluded Russia was the perpetrator, and that Moscow was using a shadow fleet of ships and its Kaliningrad exclave to do so. The European Union has previously sanctioned several Russian state-linked entities and individuals for being behind jamming incidents. "This will further reinforce our unshakable commitment to ramp up our defense capabilities and support for Ukraine," the spokesperson added. The trip to Bulgaria was part of von der Leyen's tour of several European Union states that border Russia, Belarus and the Black Sea. The trip was meant to show strength and unity as Russia continues to attack Ukrainian cities and sabotaging any attempts to reach a ceasefire deal. The president visited Latvia and Finland on Friday, Estonia on Saturday, and Poland and Bulgaria on Sunday. She was rounding up the trip on Monday, visiting Lithuania and Romania. Speaking in Bulgaria's capital shortly after the plane incident, but before it became public, von der Leyen said Europe needed to "keep up the sense of urgency." "(Russian President Vladimir) Putin has not changed, and he will not change. He is a predator. He can only be kept in check through strong deterrence," she said. CNN's Anna Chernova and James Frater contributed reporting. For more CNN news and newsletters create an account atCNN.com

Plane carrying EU’s top leader targeted by alleged Russian GPS jamming

Plane carrying EU's top leader targeted by alleged Russian GPS jamming A plane carrying the European Commission President Ursula von der...
Global media outlets unite to protest Israel's killing of journalists in GazaNew Foto - Global media outlets unite to protest Israel's killing of journalists in Gaza

Multiple media outlets are coordinating a large-scale protest on Monday to demandIsraelstop the killing of journalists in Gaza and call for international press to be allowed into the enclave to report freely. Nearly 200 outlets from 50 countries will take part in the demonstration, according to organizers, with print newspapers running blacked-out front pages, broadcasters and radio stations interrupting their programming and online outlets disrupting their home pages. The protest,coordinated byReporters Without Borders (RSF), Avaaz and the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ), aims to draw attention to the alarming number of journalists killed during Israel's war in Gaza. At least 210 journalists have been killed in Gaza since October 7, 2023, IFJ said, making the conflict the deadliest for reporters in modern times. Meanwhile, Israel has barred international media from reporting freely in Gaza, leaving Palestinian journalists to report under fire. "At the rate at which journalists are being killed in Gaza by the IDF, soon there will be no one left to keep the world informed. This is not only a war on Gaza, it is a war on journalism itself," said Thibat Bruttin, director general of RSF. "Journalists are being killed, they are being targeted, they are being defamed. Without them, who will speak of famine, who will expose war crimes, who will denounce genocides?" The demonstration comes after the recent killings of several prominent Palestinian journalists in Gaza. In early August, Israel killedfive staff membersfrom the news network Al Jazeera in a strike on Gaza City, days after the security cabinet of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu approved a plan to take over the city. Among those killed was Anas Al-Sharif, one of the most well-known Palestinian journalists in Gaza. He became a household name for many in the Arab world due to his daily coverage of the conflict and its humanitarian toll. Last week, Israel killed another five journalists in back-to-back strikes on the Nasser Hospital in the southern city of Khan Younis, in a tactic known as a"double tap." After the first strike on the hospital, people rushed to treat the wounded while journalists arrived to report. Then, Israel struck again. Video obtained exclusively by CNN showed the second "tap" was in fact two near-simultaneous strikes. These second and third strikes appear to have caused most of the deaths. Netanyahu conceded the incident was a "tragic mishap." For more CNN news and newsletters create an account atCNN.com

Global media outlets unite to protest Israel’s killing of journalists in Gaza

Global media outlets unite to protest Israel's killing of journalists in Gaza Multiple media outlets are coordinating a large-scale prot...
World Bank urges fresh push on economic threat of pollutionNew Foto - World Bank urges fresh push on economic threat of pollution

By Simon Jessop and Marc Jones LONDON (Reuters) -Degraded land, polluted air and water stress pose a direct global economic threat but using natural resources more efficiently could cut pollution by half, one of the World Bank's senior managing directors told Reuters. The damage is particularly acute for low-income countries most at threat from poverty, climate change and biodiversity loss, Axel van Trotsenburg said. Speaking alongside the publication of a new report on Monday, he said around 80% of people in low-income nations were exposed to all three and the World Bank was committed to responding even as many countries cut aid budgets. "Our commitment... is ending poverty on a liveable planet, full stop. We will not waver on this," van Trotsenburg said. Among the most impacted countries are Burundi, where 8 million people face water risk and air pollution, and 7 million face land degradation. In Malawi, 12 million people face all three risks, the report said. More broadly, 90% of the world's population face at least one of the challenges, with the report urging countries to repurpose subsidies currently spent on harmful activities. The report is published against a fractious political backdrop ahead of November's COP30 climate talks in Brazil. The World Bank and other multilateral lenders are also awaiting the outcome of a U.S. review of their operations ordered by President Donald Trump in February. The World Bank would provide data-backed evidence to inform discussions on environmental degradation among its member governments, van Trotsenburg said. The report estimated that forests help around half of the world's rain clouds form and said deforestation cut rainfall at a cost of $14 billion a year for the nine-country Amazon region alone, a material hit for the affected nations. It also means landscapes are less able to store and release moisture slowly over time. That amplifies the effects of droughts and results in a $379 billion hit, or 8% of global agricultural economic output. While ecological threats were often seen as being distant, the report zeroed in on economic impacts happening now. "We've often had this mantra that we believed countries need to grow first, pollute and clean up later. What this evidence is telling you is that is simply false," the bank's chief economist for sustainable development and report co-author, Richard Damania, said. (Editing by Ros Russell)

World Bank urges fresh push on economic threat of pollution

World Bank urges fresh push on economic threat of pollution By Simon Jessop and Marc Jones LONDON (Reuters) -Degraded land, polluted air an...
See the Trailer for "Disneyland Handcrafted", a New Documentary Celebrating the Iconic Park's 70-Year Legacy

The Walt Disney Company debuted the trailer for the upcoming documentaryDisneyland Handcraftedat Destination D23 over the weekend Director Leslie Iwerks took the stage at the "Creating The Happiest Place on Earth" panel to announce the film, which celebrates Disneyland Resort's 70-year history Disneyland Handcraftedpremieres this winter on Disney+ and Disney YouTube Disney Parksis looking back on the one that started it all. Fans got a big surprise during the "Creating The Happiest Place on Earth" panel atDestination D23 2025in Orlando, Florida, on Saturday, Aug. 30, whenOscar- andEmmy-nominated filmmaker Leslie Iwerks took the stage to announce the upcoming documentaryDisneyland Handcrafted. "Capturing the excitement of the creation ofDisneylandas it was being built more than 70 years ago, you'll get a chance to peek behind the orange groves and experience the making of the park like never before," reads a Disney ParksBlog postabout the documentary. "This unique film, complete with ASMR moments and constructed using only rarely seen footage that Leslie handpicked through theWalt Disney Archives, depicts the thoughtfulness and care that was put into the development of Disneyland," the post adds. Never miss a story — sign up forPEOPLE's free daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer​​, from celebrity news to compelling human-interest stories. Hulton Archive/Getty The first trailer forDisneyland Handcraftedalso premiered at Destination D23 alongside the big announcement from Iwerks, who previously helmed the Disney+ docuseriesThe Imagineering Story. The trailer begins with a '50s-era voiceover stating, "The people of this country are about to see and hear a new adventure in entertainment," as some of the first construction is shown. "It will come upon the American scene shortly under the title of Disneyland," the voiceover adds. Subsequent footage states thatWalt Disneytook "the greatest gamble of his life" in creating Disneyland, "a place the world had never dared to imagined" up until that point. "Walt had, in his own mind, set a deadline that was impossible to make an opening of July of 1955," another voice is heard saying of the "top secret" project, as more construction scenes are shown while a helicopter flies over orange groves. According to the trailer, Disney, who died in 1966 at age 65, "tasked several cameramen to capture [the] construction" of Disneyland, showcased in "rarely seen footage" throughout the documentary. Disney At the end of the trailer, a man is heard recalling "a great big panic" to get the park completed ahead of its planned opening date in the summer of 1955. "It was a miracle that it ever went on, just as it was a miracle that Disneyland ever got opened," he adds, as footage of the finished park — which opened on July 17, 1955 — plays out. Per the Disney Parks Blog post,Disneyland Handcraftedgives "an up-close, firsthand look at many of the artists, craftsmen and Walt Disney Imagineers who were actually there during the construction of Disneyland amid tough conditions." "So much of this footage has not seen the light of day … until now," it adds. Disneyland Handcraftedpremieres this winter on Disney+ andDisney YouTube. Read the original article onPeople

See the Trailer for “Disneyland Handcrafted”, a New Documentary Celebrating the Iconic Park's 70-Year Legacy

See the Trailer for "Disneyland Handcrafted", a New Documentary Celebrating the Iconic Park's 70-Year Legacy The Walt Disney C...
Alexis Ohanian Jokes He's 'Outnumbered' as He Pushes Daughters Adira and Olympia in a Shopping CartNew Foto - Alexis Ohanian Jokes He's 'Outnumbered' as He Pushes Daughters Adira and Olympia in a Shopping Cart

Alexis Ohanian/Instagram Alexis Ohanian is outnumbered at his house, but he doesn't seem to mind The Reddit co-founder shared a photo with both of his daughters as he took them shopping Ohanian shares daughters Adira and Olympia with wife Serena Williams Alexis Ohanianis outnumbered — but he's okay with that! The Reddit cofounder, 42, shared a sweet photo on Sunday, Aug. 31, as he pushed his daughtersAdira, 2, andOlympia, 7, whom he shares with wifeSerena Williams, in a shopping cart. Ohanian could be seen wearing a black tank top and black shorts while walking through a parking lot. Adira sat in the front of the cart, wearing green sunglasses and a pink tank top. Her big sister Olympia sat in the basket, wearing a white T-shirt and denim shorts. "Outnumbered but it's never been better," Ohanian wrote in his caption. Never miss a story — sign up forPEOPLE's free daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer​​, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories. View this post on Instagram A post shared by Alexis Ohanian Sr. (@alexisohanian) In April, Williams shared a sweet videoon her Instagramof her with herdaughter Adiraas the little one practiced identifying colors. The professional tennis player could be seen in the video speaking fluent French to her daughter and guiding her on which color came next. As soon as Adira correctly identified the color, Williams prompted her to do her signature "Serena, Come On!" tennis cheer. The toddler adorably followed suit, holding and shaking her little fist. "Teaching@adiraohanianthe 'Serena, Come On.' What do you think? #Momlife #tennis," she wrote in the caption. View this post on Instagram A post shared by Alexis Ohanian Sr. (@alexisohanian) In September 2024, Ohanian spoke at AdWeek's Brandweek conference and answered if he thought his daughter Olympia would everbecome a professional athlete. "We were watching the final of the World Cup in 2019 from our rented house in Wimbledon," Ohanian remembered. "Olympia was running around in her Alex Morgan jersey, and I said, 'Wouldn't it be great if she played on a national team one day?' " "And Serena was like, 'Not until they pay her what she's worth.' And I was like, 'Touché, okay, challenge accepted.' And that's what motivated me to buy a team and help be a part of the change." Read the original article onPeople

Alexis Ohanian Jokes He's 'Outnumbered' as He Pushes Daughters Adira and Olympia in a Shopping Cart

Alexis Ohanian Jokes He's 'Outnumbered' as He Pushes Daughters Adira and Olympia in a Shopping Cart Alexis Ohanian/Instagram Ale...

 

KOS JRNL © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com