SkyWest flight took "aggressive maneuver" to avoid a B-52, pilot says

The pilot of a SkyWest flight told passengers Friday night that he performed an "aggressive maneuver" to avoid a B-52 military aircraft in-flight as he came in for a landing in Minot, North Dakota — then apologized for the sudden move. The airline said in a statement that SkyWest flight 3788, operating as Delta Connection on a flight from Minneapolis, "landed safely in Minot after being cleared for approach by the tower but performing a go-around when another aircraft became visible in their flight path. We are investigating the incident." SkyWest said the flight had 76 passengers and four crew members on board. In a video recorded by passenger Monica Green and obtained by CBS News, the pilot is heard calmly announcing to passengers: "For those of you on the right-hand side, you probably saw the airplane kinda sorta coming at us. Nobody told us about it and so we continued." The pilot explained that the tower at the Minot airport doesn't have radar, so air traffic controllers do everything visually. The pilot said he "saw the airplane that was kind of coming on a converging course with us." "Given his speed," the pilot continued, "it was a military (aircraft). I don't know how fast they were going but they were a lot faster than us. I thought the safest thing to do was to turn behind it. So, sorry about the aggressive maneuver. It caught me by surprise." "This is not normal at all. I don't know why they didn't give us a heads-up because the (nearby) Air Force base does have radar and nobody said, 'Hey, there's also a B-52 in the pattern.'" "Long story short, it was not fun but I do apologize for it and I thank you for everything. It was not a fun day at work today," the pilot added, at which point the passengers started applauding. The Air Force confirmed in a statement to CBS News on Monday that a B-52 aircraft assigned to Minot Air Force Base was operating in the area at the time, having conducted a flyover of the North Dakota State Fair. Minot Air Force Base said later Monday in a statement that the B-52 was performing the flyover for "a special event recognizing the city of Minot as a 'Great American Defense Community.'" "The flyover was planned in advance and approved by the Federal Aviation Administration. This included the FAA's local Flight Standards District Office, Minot International Airport air traffic control personnel, and Minot Approach Control," the base said. The base said it communicated the flyover plans to Minot Approach Control throughout the event and that, while in a planned holding pattern, the B-52 crew "communicated the flyover plan to both RAPCON and Minot International Airport's air traffic control tower." "Minot Approach directed the B-52 crew at 7:43 p.m. to contact Minot International Airport's air traffic control. The B-52 crew contacted Minot International Airport tower and the tower provided instructions to continue 2 miles westbound after the flyover. The tower did not advise of the inbound commercial aircraft," the base said. An Air Force spokesperson previously told CBS News, "We are aware of the recent reporting regarding commercial and Air Force aircraft operating in airspace around Minot International Airport. We are currently looking into the matter." Green, the passenger who recorded the video, said that as the aircraft was descending, she felt it jolt to the right. The Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement that it is investigating the incident. "Air traffic services were provided by the Minot air traffic control tower, which is run by a private company. These controllers are not FAA employees," the agency said. What shocked "Matlock" star Kathy Bates? A new you: The science of redesigning your personality "Somebody Somewhere" star Bridget Everett

SkyWest flight took "aggressive maneuver" to avoid a B-52, pilot says

SkyWest flight took "aggressive maneuver" to avoid a B-52, pilot says The pilot of a SkyWest flight told passengers Friday night t...
Authorities investigating LA shooting and crash that injured dozens ask for tips to find gunmanNew Foto - Authorities investigating LA shooting and crash that injured dozens ask for tips to find gunman

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Police investigating a crash outside a Los Angeles nightclub that injured at least 36 people asked for help Monday to find the man theysuspect of shooting the driver. A vehiclerammed into a crowdof people outside the Vermont Hollywood venue early Saturday along a busy boulevard in East Hollywood, leading bystanders to attack the driver, authorities said. The driver was later found to have been shot in the lower back, according to police. Los Angeles police released surveillance photos Monday from cameras near the crash showing a man with a goatee wearing a blue Dodgers jacket and a light blue jersey with the number "5." Officials are asking for help in identifying him. The driver was identified Sunday as 29-year-old Fernando Ramirez. He is expected to face a felony charge of assault with a deadly weapon. A phone number for Ramirez could not be found in an online database search and the public defender's office has not responded to requests for comment on whether one of its attorneys is representing him. The Vermont Hollywood nightclub was hosting a reggae hip-hop event Friday night, according to its calendar. People were leaving at the end of the event when the car crashed into them,the venue said online. "We are deeply saddened by the tragic incident that occurred early Saturday morning outside our venue," the Vermont Hollywood club said. "We are working closely with law enforcement to ensure the person responsible for this horrific act is held fully accountable." Ramirez's car came to a stop after colliding with several food carts, which became lodged underneath the vehicle, police said. Injuries ranged from minor pain to serious fractures and lacerations, and some people were briefly trapped beneath the vehicle, police said. Ramirez has a criminal history that includes an aggravated battery conviction for a 2019 attack on a Black man who worked at a Whole Foods grocery store in Laguna Beach, California. In that same case, he was also convicted of a civil rights misdemeanor, and the assault was considered a hate crime, because he told police that he hated Black people. But a California appeals court in 2021 said he made that statement after invoking his Fifth Amendment rights, and only the battery conviction was allowed to stand. Ramirez was released from custody after more than two years in jail and prison. Ramirez "has proved to be violent to strangers and family alike and clearly has a lack of concern for the safety of others," Orange County prosecutors said in a court filing at the time. He also pleaded guilty in 2014 to battery and a gang-related charge, and in 2021 to domestic violence, records show. A 2024 drunken driving case and 2022 domestic violence charge were pending at the time of the nightclub crash, according to records. ___ Associated Press reporter Ed White contributed from Detroit.

Authorities investigating LA shooting and crash that injured dozens ask for tips to find gunman

Authorities investigating LA shooting and crash that injured dozens ask for tips to find gunman LOS ANGELES (AP) — Police investigating a cr...
Marines ending Los Angeles deployment, Pentagon saysNew Foto - Marines ending Los Angeles deployment, Pentagon says

By Phil Stewart WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The Pentagon announced on Monday it was ending its deployment of some 700 active-duty Marines sent to Los Angeles last month to protect federal property and personnel during a spate of protests tied to President Donald Trump's immigration crackdown. The withdrawal follows last week's decision to remove about half of the 4,000 National Guard troops also sent to Los Angeles. "With stability returning to Los Angeles, the Secretary has directed the redeployment of the 700 Marines whose presence sent a clear message: Lawlessness will not be tolerated," said Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell. Trump deployed the Marines and California National Guard troops to Los Angeles in June, against the wishes of Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom, to quell protests triggered by immigration raids on workplaces by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. Despite legal challenges, a U.S. appeals court let Trump retain control of California's National Guard. Trump's decision to send troops into Los Angeles prompted a national debate about the use of the military on U.S. soil and inflamed political tension in the country's second-most-populous city. The Pentagon has defended the deployment, saying that safeguarding Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents ensures they can do their jobs, and praised the Marines on Monday. "Their rapid response, unwavering discipline, and unmistakable presence were instrumental in restoring order and upholding the rule of law," Parnell said. Trump has vowed to deport millions of people in the country illegally and has executed raids at work sites including farms that had been largely exempted from enforcement during his first term. The administration has faced dozens of lawsuits across the country challenging its tactics. Trump has increasingly turned to the military in his immigration crackdown. In addition to sending troops to Los Angeles, thousands of active-duty troops have been deployed to the border with Mexico, and the Pentagon has created military zones in the border area. The zones are intended to allow the Trump administration to use troops to detain migrants without invoking the 1807 Insurrection Act that empowers a president to deploy the U.S. military to suppress events such as civil disorder. (Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Leslie Adler)

Marines ending Los Angeles deployment, Pentagon says

Marines ending Los Angeles deployment, Pentagon says By Phil Stewart WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The Pentagon announced on Monday it was ending i...
Tom Troupe, "Star Trek" and "Frasier" actor, dies at 97

Victor Colin Sumner/Fairfax Media via Getty Tom Troupe, a prolific character actor who appeared in dozens of series, includingStar Trek, Mission: Impossible,andFrasier,has died. He was 97. The Kansas City, Mo., native died of natural causes in his Beverly Hills, Calif., home Sunday morning, a representative confirmed toEntertainment Weekly. Born July 15, 1928, Troupe grew up acting in local theater productions before making the move to New York City at age 20. NBC He was later awarded a scholarship by Uta Hagen to attend classes at the Herbert Berghof Studio, where his fellow students included Geraldine Page, Jason Robards, Sandy Dennis, and Lee Grant. After serving in the Korean War, for which he was awarded a Bronze Star, Troupe returned to New York City and made his Broadway debut in the 1957 stage adaptation ofThe Diary of Anne Frank. He moved to Los Angeles the following year and quickly found success as a character actor on television, landing roles in episodes of shows such asLock Up, Rawhide, Lawman, The Fugitive,andThe Man from U.N.C.L.E. Troupe would continue to act on screen for the next six decades on programs includingStar Trek, Mission: Impossible, The Wild Wild West, The Rookies, Ironside, Planet of the Apes, CHiPs, Quincy, M.E, Archie Bunker's Place, Cheers, Cagney & Lacey, Murder, She Wrote, Who's The Boss, Frasier,andER. He also enjoyed success on the silver screen, playing characters in a variety of films, including 1959'sThe Big Fisherman, 1968'sThe Devil's Brigade, 1987'sSummer School, and 1991'sMy Own Private Idaho. When Troupe wasn't performing on screen, he would likely be found on stage. Over the course of his storied acting career, he starred in productions ofThe Lion in Winter, Fathers Day,andThe Gin Gameopposite his late wife and fellow actress Carole Cook, whom he married in 1964. His other theatrical credits include the national tour ofSame Time, Next Year, the Broadway production ofRomantic Comedyopposite Mia Farrow, and his co-written play,The Diary of a Madman.Sign up forEntertainment Weekly's free daily newsletterto get breaking news, exclusive first looks, recaps, reviews, interviews with your favorite stars, and more. Troupe and Cook, who died in 2023, were jointly honored with the L.A. Ovation Award for Career Achievement in 2002. Troupe is survived by his son Christopher, daughter-in-law Becky Coulter, and granddaughter Ashley, as well as his many nieces and nephews. No services or memorials are scheduled at this time. However, in lieu of flowers, Troupe's representative has requested that donations be made to either theEntertainment Community Fundor thePasadena Humane Society. Read the original article onEntertainment Weekly

Tom Troupe, “Star Trek” and “Frasier” actor, dies at 97

Tom Troupe, "Star Trek" and "Frasier" actor, dies at 97 Victor Colin Sumner/Fairfax Media via Getty Tom Troupe, a prolif...
"Babe" Star James Cromwell Remembers Going Vegan on the 'Second Day of Filming'

Universal/Getty BabeactorJames Cromwell's time on the fictional farm transformed his way of eating. TheSuccessionstar, 85, who played farmer Arthur Hoggett in the Oscar Award-winning 1995 children's movie, toldThe Guardianhow just a few days on set made him opt for a plant-based diet. "On the second day of filming, I broke for lunch before everybody else. All the animals I'd worked with that morning were on the table, cut up, fricasseed, roasted and seared. That was when I decided to become a vegan," he recalled in the July 21article. In the movie, Cromwell's character wins the titular pig and rather than eating the piglet, he chooses to show it at an upcoming fair. During this time, Babe bonds with fellow farm animals and learns to herd sheep. Alamy Cromwell described the cooperation and disobedience of a gaggle of ducks, sheep, border collies, horses and other farm animals (most of which were real despite one animatronic sheep and some puppets) behind the scenes of the heartwarming film. He explained that a trainer worked with the sheep for "five months" trying to perfect the final scene. When the animals did as they were supposed to, the crowd of "extras we'd gathered from the local town – went berserk," Cromwell said. According to Cromwell, viewers had similar dietary responses to the beloved movie. "The only negative thing I ever heard about Babe was from a woman who said it ruined her relationship with her daughter," he said. "They used to enjoy Big Macs together and now her daughter wouldn't eat animals. I thought: 'If that's what you based your relationship on, it sucks anyway!'" The actor is a longtime animal activist andPETA advocate— in 2023, he evenhelped save a piglet (aptly named Babe) from slaughter. "Having had the privilege of witnessing and experiencing pigs' intelligence and inquisitive personalities while filming the movieBabechanged my life and my way of eating, and so I jumped at the chance to save this real-life Babe," Cromwell said in a statement from PETA at the time. The pig was taken to an animal shelter, according to Cromwell. Read the original article onPeople

“Babe” Star James Cromwell Remembers Going Vegan on the ‘Second Day of Filming’

"Babe" Star James Cromwell Remembers Going Vegan on the 'Second Day of Filming' Universal/Getty BabeactorJames Cromwell...

 

KOS JRNL © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com